What You Should Know About the Safety of Hoverboards
Do you remember a few years ago when everyone was up in arms over the safety of hoverboards? It seemed like everywhere you looked was another report of some personal transportation device catching fire and exploding. As you can see in this article from CNET, some cities went so far as to ban them from roads and sidewalks. Airlines wanted nothing to do with them. Even major retailers, such as Amazon and Overstock, stopped selling a number of models out of fear. Granted, much has changed in the last few years with new hoverboards. So before you really dive in and begin your research of which hoverboard to buy, let’s take a step back and review these safety concerns.
- Catching fire - Let’s get the most pressing concern out of the way first. Going back to 2015, why did so many hoverboards end up combusting or exploding? In the article, it’s explained that it was the result of faulty batteries and bad electronics. It’s important to know that hoverboards are powered by large lithium-ion batteries that can overheat and explode in rare cases. Last year, the Consumer Product Safety Commission chose to investigate the safety of all hoverboards. As a result, any new hoverboard that’s manufactured must be within UL 2272 compliance. This helps prevent those bizarre hoverboard explosions from several years ago.
- Falling off and injuring yourself - Accidents with hoverboards will happen on occasion, as they do with other fast-moving vehicles. Keep in mind that the best hoverboards on the market can get up to around 10 mph, so that may increase the level of injury sustained falling off a slower-moving transport device. Unfortunately, most hoverboard riders don’t wear any safety gear at all. It’s a good idea, though, to minimize injury by ensuring that you equip yourself with a helmet, knee pads, elbow pads, and wrist guards, especially outside. Don’t forget that this equipment can lower your risk of fractures, sprains, and other injuries should you fall.
- Traffic accidents - There will come a point in the near future where hoverboard accidents are common. While you may think that a hoverboard is just another vehicle in traffic, please avoid riding in or close to a busy street. It wasn’t too long ago that a teen was struck and killed by a bus in London while riding a hoverboard.
- Weight limitations - The majority of hoverboards have a minimum weight limit around 45 pounds and a maximum around 300 pounds. These weight limits are intended to protect the scooter and rider, so be sure to check the manufacturer’s website for more information. Now let’s address the elephant in the room here. Should your child ride a hoverboard? Not surprisingly, children under the weight limit will have trouble riding one, especially since the scooter won’t detect their weight. In turn, balance immediately becomes problematic. There are definitely a handful of new hoverboards geared toward children, but it’s always smart to use your best judgment as a parent.
- Steep hills - Part of the fun of having a real hoverboard is to be able to off-road. With that often comes steep hills and other potentially treacherous terrain to navigate. Across the industry, few boards are capable of going up or down hills over 30 degrees. While there aren’t specific height limits to worry about with hoverboards, just know that they typically lift the rider nearly four inches above the ground. Our team has found that taller folks tend to have more trouble riding than others.
The Safest Hoverboards with King Power Boards
Now that you’re aware of the safety concerns, it’s time to figure out where to buy a hoverboard. Our hoverboard store takes the hassle out of shopping for these personal transportation devices. While some hoverboard suppliers produce counterfeits and lesser quality products, King Power Boards continues to emphasize quality and customer satisfaction. Whether you choose the ProZip “Thunderbolt,” “Flame,” or another one of our models, you can feel good knowing that your self-balanced hoverboard scooter is UL 2272 Compliant.
We are proud to offer a one-year warranty for your device’s parts and labor. Please don’t hesitate to read more about these terms and conditions, as well as what kinds of repair we can provide.
Shop King Power Boards today.